Every year, BC Living, a publication that focuses on West Coast life, polls its readers to find out what is considered ‘best in class’ in our region.
BC Living separates respondents into four regions: Vancouver & Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island, Interior BC & Northern BC.
The poll quizzes people on many aspects of West Coast living: favourite coffee shop (in my opinion 49thParallel wins hands down and I’m delighted to see the broader Vancouver population agrees), the best patio (The Boathouse Restaurant), best desserts (Thomas Haas Chocolates & Patisserie) etc. The list goes on.
The most interesting is the ‘Best Local Media Personality’ category. The results from Vancouver & Lower Mainland region – all of which are TV personalities – are listed below:
- Winner: Tamara Taggart, CTV
- 1st Runner Up: Sophie Lui, Global BC
- 2nd Runner Up: Squire Barnes, Global BC
It’s great to see two female TV personalities make this list, highlighting the gender shift over the years in the news room.
I also took a peek at the results from the other three regions polled. Outside of the lower mainland, radio personalities were a much bigger hit. The ‘Best Local Media Personality’ according to the readers from Vancouver Island are listed below:
- Winner: Hudson Mack, CTV Vancouver Island
- 1st Runner Up: Ed Bain, The Q!
- 2nd Runner Up: Bruce Williams, CTV Vancouver Island
The ‘Best Local Media Personality’ according to the readers from the Interior:
- Winner: Brian Martin, Sun FM
- 1st Runner Up: Mark Jeffries, EZ Rock
- 2nd Runner Up: Toby Tannas, CHBC News
The ‘Best Local Media Personality’ according to readers from Northern BC:
- Winner: Betsy Trumpener, CBC
- 1st Runner Up: Mike Benny, 101.3 The River
- 2nd Runner Up: Dale Taylor, 97.5 The Rush
This kind of poll is extremely valuable. As a PR, it’s important to know what personalities resonate in different regions. We often organize events and invite local personalities to host; knowing who resonates with which audience ensures we identify the best person for the job. Thank you BC Living for conducting and collating this insightful data!